Wellington UniVentures and our commercialisation partner Innovyz would like to announce the new Innovyz poster competition. The competition aims to help showcase the exciting research going on within Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington. Innovyz are looking for advanced research that has commercial applications. To showcase our commitment to commercialisation and innovation, Innovyz is offering researchers $10,000 for first prize, $5,000 for second and $2,500 for third prize.
Applications for the poster competition must be done through Wellington UniVentures. Posters are to be submitted to UniVentures by Friday the 5th of February 2021 for initial review. Final posters will then be submitted by Wellington UniVentures by 5:00pm (AEST) on Friday the 19th of February 2021.
- Applications must include a relevance to technology associated with Advanced Materials & Manufacturing.
- Must be currently enrolled, or having recently completed, a graduate or undergraduate qualification, pursuing studies in a related science, technology, engineering, maths or health discipline
- The poster should include original concepts and innovative ideas and it must include a commercial application for the research.
- Maximum poster size is A3 and minimum 10-point font.
All VUW staff and students are invited to enter an application through Wellington UniVentures. Posters are to be submitted to Wellington UniVentures by 5.00 pm(NZT) Friday the 5th of February 2021 for initial review. Wellington UniVentures will then submit the poster to Innovyz by Friday the 19th February by 5.00pm (AEST) and the awards will be presented on Friday the 26th of February 2021.
For submission to Wellington UniVentures, please email Ashwath Sundaresan.
The judging panel will include: Innovyz Scientific Committee, members from Knowledge Commercialisation Australia (KCA), and members from the Electronics Industry Development Adelaide.
We are interested in posters presenting concepts about IP that is already created and the current state of the innovation and results already achieved (i.e. not proposals to investigate solving a problem).
The prizes will be judged on the final submitted poster alone using the following criteria:
- 30% - Quality of commercial application of innovation (ie how well your innovation solves a problem)
- 20% - How the current problem is overcome (or not) and how much your innovation improves this.
- 10% - How significant is this improvement?
- Is the performance improvement useful or does it make a functional difference when applied?
- Is the time improvement large enough in a time sensitive element? Is the cost improvement a large enough proportion of a cost sensitive part?
- 20% - What are the steps required for this innovation to be available in the real world? (Estimates of time / cost to get to market viewed favorably?)
- 20% - Clarity of explanation (diagrams/figures viewed favourably). *Note: The judging will be on how well the criteria is met in the poster not if the answers in the poster might be perceived what Innovyz prefers in an innovation. (eg while shorter and cheaper time to market is obviously appealing, the poster contest is judged on how well the question of time to market is answered).
Innovyz are a commercialisation company that turn great ideas into great companies and have successfully commercialised 80+ innovations. Innovyz have assisted the start-up companies to raise in excess of AU$125m with market value in excess of AU$200m. Innovyz works within Australia, New Zealand and the USA.
Find out more about the Innovyz Advanced Materials & Manufacturing (AM&M) Programme here